Untitled Post
2004-05-03 01:16:16 by Andrew Hitchcock G+
Woohoo! I got a new bike today: the Trek 1500. I had been wanting one for a while and my parents were going to get me one as a graduation present, but there was a big sale at a local bike shop, so we took advantage of it. I had been having trouble deciding which bike I liked the most of all the ones I test road, since they are all similar. I knew time would not help me make up my mind, so I decided to just get one. Also, the bikes were all so similar and any bike would be a big improvement over the 25 year old bike I was riding. Oh man, it is so nice. I took it out for a test ride when I got home, riding around the neighborhood and then down a straight stretch of road to the middle school and back. It accelerates well and goes so fast! And the light! Oh so light! Okay, now that you have heard the wonderful news, you can decide whether you would like to read my long winded account of the weekend or move onto something else. You've been warned.
We went out for dinner on Thursday before the play. We couldn't find the restaurant we were looking for, so we went for our second choice that we easily found. It was a nice little Italian restaurant near Queen Anne; the name escapes me. I had Tortellini Al Prosciutto. It was a delicous combination of prosciutto and ricotta in tortellini with a creamy gorgonzola sauce. It didn't look like much food when it arrived, but it was very rich and filling. After dinner we quickly headed to "It Ain't Nothin' But The Blues" at the Seattle Repertory Theatre. I was surprisingly entertained considering I am not a big blues fan (not that dislike it, I just don't listen to much). They went through a rough history of blues by singing songs of the time. There was a surprising number of innuendos in the music. I didn't realize the blues were so explicit :).
Oh man, Saturday was a long day (good, but long). In the morning I went to Starbucks but realized I forgot some frisbee gear at home, so I had to forgo my pre-frisbee hot chocolate. We waited for a while at Crest for people to show up, but only five of us did, with no girls. We called around and got two more guys to meet us there, but that still left us with no girls. Since the league rules require all teams have at least three girls on the field at all times (versus two last year), we had to forfeit both games. We still played scrimmages with both teams, however. I played horribly in the first game (I blame it on the lack of my lucky hot chocolate). About three fourths of the way through I decided to eat the brownie I brought along (despite it being a frisbee game and me being a frisbee player, it was not that kind of brownie). In the next game I played better, so it might be the chocolate affecting my play. Anyway, we lost the first scrimmage about 4 to 11, if my memory serves me correctly (of course, I was tripping on chocolate, so we can't be sure). The second game was much better, though. The team we played had about the same record as us (no wins). One of our players left between games and they had three girls, so we played six on six with one girl on each time and one girl sitting out at all times. This is my favorite team so far, since they are pretty casual like ourselves. They were from the Seattle Academy of Arts and Sciences, or some big long name like that. After the game, instead of creating chants, we played a game called Cowboys and Princesses. I lasted until there were just three of us left, but, when princess was called, I was too slow jumping into Mikey's arms and was therefore disqualified.
Later in the day I headed to the middle school to play steel drum at a Ridvan festival for members of the Baha'i religion. I was pretty sure it started at 19:30, but I wanted to arrive at 19:00 just in case. It actually didn't start until 20:00, so I had plenty of time to follow Plan B: Starbucks run. I rode my bike to Starbucks where I saw Jeff from Georgio's (where I had had lunch) standing outside his store. We chatted for a little while before I headed into Starbucks for a refreshing Frappuccino. I ran into some fellow steel drummers, one behind the counter and a few sitting around drinking and chatting. As I sat listening to Moby on my iPod and drinking my beverage, I saw the omnipresent Robert. He must be hanging out at the gas station, so a few minutes later when I left, I slowly rode past the store where he spotted me and motioned for me to come over. We chatted for a while outside the station before Bart got mad at us for possibly making people think they were still open. I headed back to the middle school and learned that it didn't start until 20:00 (until then I thought it started at 19:30). I headed back to chat with Robert for a while and, upon hearing about the religious festival, wanted to check things out. I followed his horribly inefficient Mercury Marauder on my infinitely more efficient bicycle. I entered the band room, finding a seat away from the rest of the group. Robert followed me in and declined an invitation to play percussive backup. While the rest of the group discussed mundane things, I sat rolling my dreads. We decided to do something fancy for our entrance: having each group enter just before their part begins during Jump in the Line. This, unfortunately, didn't leave me with much time to find the music after walking on stage. This problem was compounded when my book wasn't on the drums (my fault for not being able to make it to setup). These books were alphabetically sorted while mine was chronological. Also, the main book I was using didn't have like two of the songs. Also, a seperate problem was that there were only two of us basses present. None of the tenor basses and only us two basses could make it. He was on the other side of the drumset, so I felt like I was playing by myself, yikes! We played our short set and then quickly cleared the stage. I double checked to make sure we were meeting at the high school and Haberman expressed a little concern, making sure I wouldn't get hit by a car (as it was dusk). I told him it would be no problem, but thought to myself, "Eh, I'm nearly killed every week, nothing new." I knew it was more dangerous at dusk, so I rode without iPod and used the car headlights to my advantage (I would be able to see cars coming in from side roads). I blasted off behind one car, but ahead of most. The steel drum trucks passed me just before I exited Island Crest Way. I was afraid of arriving after everything was already done, so I continued my furious pace. It seems easier to ride in the dark because hills don't seem to pose as much of a challenge (since you can't see them). When I arrived I was surprised to see the trucks still backing into place and the other students walking (lead pans in hand) through the parking lot. I got a few compliments and people seemed surprised that little ole Andrew was a m@d b1k3 r1d3r. While returning pans, I got a call from my mom who wanted to pick me up since it was now night (probably a good idea). I hestitantly accepted. Later one of the students offered me a ride home. This helped cement the persona I try to represent: a green, iPod listening, bike riding, frisbee playing, dreadlocked, hippy.
Today was pretty relaxed in comparison. I slept in late, had a large brunch (since my dinner last night was the Frappuccino), and picked up my bike. My dad got me some vegetarian pepperonis for pizzas :). I didn't use it tonight, though, because we still had a lot of turkey pepperonis and canadian bacon. Those veggie pepperonis are (according to the nutritional information) mostly fiber and protein. Right now I am listening to Ride the Lawn CD (I had only heard about half the CD until now). I laughed at the namesake song Ride the Lawn because of all the hilarious sound effects. What does cracking whip have to do with riding your lawn on a lawnmower? I don't know, but it is still funny. This is what Steve Jobs would call good Karma music. I have spent a long time writing this entry and I am too lazy to check it all, so I apologize if I screw up any spelling or grammar, or on any homonyms.
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.