These are notes I wrote in October 2020 when brainstorming the future of distributed and decentralized cities. These would go on to inspire crypto co-ops and Montanoso.
- Remote work is more common in the future.
- Desire for more community.
- Move away from poorly-run, high-cost metros.
- Small communities built around shared values.
- Archipelago of neighborhoods designed, funded, and built by their members.
- Modern management incorporating ideas from Radical Markets.
- Potentially outside urban centers and even off grid.
- Connected via sparse road network and flying taxis.
- Quadratic voting.
- Dominant assurance contracts for funding.
- Community values and rules and regs as a version-controlled doc.
- Community proposals for changes to software-based management, ala crypto governance.
- HOA owned by community as voting shares / governance coins.
- A community design language that is codified, potentially as software code.
Adjacent software / services
- Community water district management.
- Community electric / solar.
- Funding mechanisms (for constructing new shared amenities and buildings).
- Venue leasing / booking tools (for community areas, rental units, etc.).
- Community aesthetics / automated design.
- Software licensing.
- Equity in HOA.
- Financial services / lending for new buildings / ventures.
- Cut of leasing / booking revenue.
- Add-ons such as water district management.